Tuesday, November 4, 2008

This is personal

Before I get back to work, I'm going to indulge in a short review as my personal reminder of what the past 12 or so months have held:

October 2007
Gracie, almost died from a rare herniated diaphragm. After emergency surgery, outlandish vet bills, and lots of TLC she is fine.

November 2007
Gordon, who gave me my first job out of college and was like a father to me, died.

December 2007
Two days after Christmas, I suffered a very bad fall and back injury that laid me up for weeks.

January 2008
My only aunt, whose family and mine had been "estranged" for 12 years, died. At her wake, I saw dear loved ones I'd missed terribly for years. This all ends well in terms of relationships reborn, but the anticipation and resulting emotions were unlike any I'd felt before.

and
The increasing frailty of my parents and the realization that they would not be able to live in their home much longer becomes a regular topic of discussion for my brother and I.

March 2008
My father turned 80 and a week later my mother began her final journey with a trip to the ER, resulting in a hospital stay, inpatient rehab, subacute rehab...and a recurring cycle lasting for nearly seven months.

April 2008
After months of preparation and anticipation, I entered into covenant membership with the Wheaton Franciscan Sisters. My plans were that this commitment would be the defining moment of my year. It was far from it.

and
My 80-year-old father was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

July 2008
My dearest friend in the world died after a long battle with cancer. Lucille was like a mother to me. She had just turned 83.

and
My mother suffered a heart attack after being home for only a few days and left her home of the last 47 years for the last time.

September 2008
My 72-year-old mother died two weeks before my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. I was on vacation in Wisconsin, called back home, and made it in time to be with her for nearly 24 hours before she passed...with me as her only witness.

and
My Cubbies imploded...again.

November 4, 2008
I know it in my heart...my year will be redeemed in one day.
This day.

No comments: