Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Before you stick that on your bumper...


So I'm driving down Roosevelt Road, heading to LaGrange Park to spend some time with my dad. Along the way I notice a car with an Obama bumper sticker not unlike my own. It's a long ride, and I enjoy the kinship we've just established, we two strangers with apparently similar world views.

I try to keep up with him...yeah, people will see there are two of us, two DuPage County dwellers who are out to turn our county blue! He in his...whatever, it was black...and me in my Prius. Yes, he's my homey, my bud; we'll watch the debates together; yep...a guy I can have a beer with.

Then my new friend lets me down with a tiny thud.

I hadn't noticed he was smoking, although the window was open. I guess I was blinded by my new adoration, but how I missed the smoke pouring out of his window is a mystery.

Anyway, there it was. A butt...no, bigger than a butt...it was nearly half of that cancer stick flying out his window, onto the pavement in front of me, rolling towards me still burning and glowing.

I close my window to avoid the puff of smoke he'd been kind enough to share, and I slow to a crawl and change lanes. I don't want anyone to think I know the guy.

No comments: