Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Starting with an ending

I'm not even sure why I'm doing this blog thing, but rather than stall any longer, I will dive in now and think later...not what my mother would advise, I'm sure.

My mother died exactly one week ago tonight.

Mom was not an easy person to know, and although I always thought I knew her pretty well, now that she's gone I doubt that. Several years ago she decided to start writing a memoir of sorts; recollections of her life for her "offspring." Sadly, about all we have is several pages of notes, and one page of prose. An introduction and the following teaser never to be fully explained:
My life was usually lived in a safe manner. My family was not one to take chances.
What I wouldn't give to have the pages that were to follow. Did she mean the family with her parents, or our family...or both? Both would make sense, but I'd give anything to have her elaborate. Why start her memoir with that observation? Was that something she was proud of, comfortable with, or somewhere deep inside did she wish she'd had a slightly more interesting life...and what risks would she have taken? I'd give anything to know.

No comments: