Saturday, September 27, 2008

What a way to ruin a Saturday afternoon (or bumper stickers part II)

We three Sunnyside girls were driving (in the Prius proudly bumper-stuck for the Chicago Cubs and Barack Obama) south on Naperville Road to the Danada Equestrian Center for a afternoon walk. Suddenly a car (beige, maybe a Buick) cut in front of me and slowed down. We were engaged in conversation, so I was slow to notice that the dude was also sporting his own bumper-tude: Chicago White Sox, Marines, and NoBama.

I changed lanes to get away from him, but he saw that and cut right in front of me again, waving his middle finger with great purpose and energy in my direction. Well I didn't do what I usually do, which would have been nothing at all. Avoid engagement with road raging lunatics at all costs. No...my hormones are sputtering, my temper is short, my nerves are shot, and my patience is spent. So I stooped to his level and waved back with equal gusto. Oh yeah, that's making my mother proud.

A moment later I got a grip, retracted the offending digit, and slowed down, keeping my distance and regaining my composure. At a stoplight we ended up side by side. He rolled down the window. I didn't look his way, totally keeping my cool, talking to Beth calmly.

Then the light turned green and he pulled away first, yelling out his window, "Go vote for your n****r."

I was in shock and felt physically ill. Beth started to cry.

What in the bloody hell did he wish to accomplish? Was he hoping he would intimidate me into not voting for Barack Obama? Did he want me to engage him in a shouting match, ending with an accident and perhaps hand-to-hand combat?

The (hopefully) few, the (inappropriately) proud, that racist-bigoted-nasty-hate-filled Marine. I feel sorry for him. What a miserable life.

God protect Barack Obama. God protect us from ourselves.

No comments: