Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I love this look...who is your decorator?

I've been saving blodder (fodder for my blog) for quite some time now, so I may just date my entries with the date I originally wrote them instead of the date assigned. It will help me anyway.

9/23/08
My dad had two doctor appointments today. The first is with his primary physician. As we sit in the waiting room, we notice a pharmaceutical rep (female) anxiously waiting to talk to someone. She's pulling out samples from her trusty briefcase on wheels. Preparing packets of information, unwrapping big blue pens to hand to the ladies behind the counter. Finally she is granted an audience with one of the women and they chat like old friends. Pharma rep #1 leaves and within mere moments #2 (male) arrives on the scene. Hmm. Same trusty briefcase. He waits, he preps, he unwraps...are those pens? No, some kind of clip thing. Then he chats it up with the staff, flatters, winks, and disappears to pick up the trail left by #1, no doubt.

And then I actually look around. Am I in a doctor's office waiting room or a sample room for a point-of-purchase cardboard display manufacturer?

On the window sill there are no fewer than 14 pharmaceutical displays of one type or another. On the table in front of us there are 2, the end table to the right has 4, the end table nearest the door--3, the coffee table to the left--6. The counter has pen cups from someone, tissue holder from someone else.

I see familiar icons...balloons inflated like tiny full bladders, a pretty green moth, and lots of purple. And many names familiar to anyone who watches TV, surfs the Web, or reads pretty much anything. Femcon, Enablex, Lunesta, Vytorin, Lovaza, and on and on.

Did I take my medicine this morning? Did Dad take his? Are we done with Gracie's antibiotics yet?

And then we go down the hall (literally) to Dad's next appointment. The waiting room is quiet, calm, reassuring, well lit, and entirely sans cardboard.

On the way home, we stop at Walgreens to fill Dad's new prescription from the first visit...some new pill for his blood pressure. I wonder what color it is?

No comments: